Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 7 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Dutch Beers & specialities
Posted: 2006-07-08, 1:32 pm

scuNNer
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
One unconvincing member of the group of excuses that I use to justify another trip is that I'll be able to pick up a favourite beer and other stuff that is only made in Holland and is hard to get in the UK.

Last trip I lugged back three six-packs of bottled (not found in cans) Wieckse Witte beer. You cannot get this beer in Scotland and it's rare in UK. I love the stuff - think Hoegaarden but lighter and less coriander tasting. I noticed the "Belgian Beers..." thread and wondered if any of you guys like the local brews when you're in town.

Also carried was a supply of Stroopwafels and multipacks of Droste Chocolate pastilles to dish out to myself, family and friends at home. I know you can get these in the UK but with the Stroopwafels I've only ever found them in pricey delis.

In the past I've taken back other things, like the local spirits or liqueurs but never the Cheese (which I've never developed a taste for!).

I find these little aspects of the culture add a lot to the overall great time I've had every time I've been in Holland and Amsterdam in particular (for a couple of other reasons).

Any of you chaps developed a taste for some of the local NON-marijuana goods?

10 and a half months till next trip. I will be visiting other foreign destinations before then but the return to the 'Dam is always the trip I really look forward to.

Last edited by scuNNer on 2006-07-08, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Dutch Beers & specialities
Posted: 2006-07-08, 9:36 pm

papawhiteheadSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Yeah, I'm totally addicted to Stroop Waffles. The first time I went we shipped a box full of stroop waffles and Fernandez sodas and few packages of tulip bulbs. We mistakenly sent it on "the slow boat" it took about a month to recieve it. All the stroop waffles were melted together, solid as a rock. They still tasted great but they were a bitch to eat and the texture was all wrong. So, be aware that at some point while shipping your stuff might get hot. Take care
~Robje
Posted: 2006-07-08, 10:34 pm

dvdrzuk
If you haven't already been, I'd recommend t'Arendsnest at 90 Herrengracht as they only sell Dutch beers.

Code:
http://www.arendsnest.nl/

My current favourites are the Klein Duimpje Porters, they have a standard porter, a honey porter and a hazelnut porter. As I always drive to Amsterdam, and take a big trailer with me, I can bring back enough to keep me going until my next trip :-)
Posted: 2006-07-09, 1:10 am

Boaby
Hate to shoot down one of your excuses but I've managed to get Wieckse Witte quite easily up here, you just have to go to the wankier food emporia like Peckhams. Arse watteringly expensive mind you but as you say it's worth it for the subtle taste, Hoogarden tastes like disinfectant in comparison.
I went past excuses a while ago and have now resorted to lies and subterfuge. I live in fear of being hit by a tram and having to explain to family and GF why I’m in hospital in Amsterdam when they thought I was in Inverness.
Posted: 2006-07-09, 3:01 pm

pem
I have a taste for TUC tuckys bbq flavour. I cant stop eating them out there. I even smuggle them into bars to enjoy them with my brew. Also i eat a hell of a lot of febo especially the kroket things. Chocomel is another fav. but when it comes to beer i do prefer belgian. as i've mentioned before de koninck is king!!! I dont really see the point of drinking bottled beers in ams as draught is always best. in de wildeman has around 12 beers on tap which change regular.

just my 2cents!
Posted: 2006-07-09, 3:47 pm

scuNNer
Quote: "I live in fear of being hit by a tram and having to explain to family and GF why I’m in hospital in Amsterdam when they thought I was in Inverness"

LOL - Nice one Boaby. I've not found the need to resort to total subterfuge yet.

There's a Peckhams up the street to which i have been going to for years and have never once seen Wieckse Witte. I've trawled the Internet for a UK supplier without much luck. Rumour has it you can find it on draught in trendy London bars and it may pop up rarely in Waitrose down south. Strangely, the only other place I've seen it outside the Netherlands was a mini supermarket in Taormina, Sicily.

Obviously its draught in the 'Dam, I just couldn't find anything other than (heavy) bottles to take home. They seem to sell it in small kegs as well (beertender?) - some sort of Heineken home draught effort which also hasn't made it to the UK.
Posted: 2006-07-10, 5:45 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I am not surprised to see d'Arendsnest and de Wildmann on this list. Why not go right to the source, and hit het 'IJ Brewery. You can find a few of their brews aorund town, but they usually have 10 or so on tap at the windmill.

http://www.brouwewijhetij.nl

I regret not bringing back Jiniveer from Wynand and Focking. The stuff really grows on you. Impossible to find in here in the states.

[ 7 posts ] 

Jump to: