Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 5 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Our Old Friend: the Guilder
Posted: 2006-07-14, 12:12 am

Luther Head
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Surely I'm not the only one to wax nostalgic about ye olde Guilder. Remember the colorful bills that were so big they wouldn't fit in your wallet? Well, seems as if there are still plenty around, 650 million, with well over two thirds of that in coins (see story:

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_art ... in+October).

Remember the coins? Once you got the hang of them they were much easier to count in a murky bar or coffeeshop. My favorite was the big old 2 1/2 guilder coin.
Am I crazy to pine over the old currency?

Any way, if you have coins, they need to be changed by the end of the year. If you've got folding money, no hurry, you've got until 2032.
Re: Our Old Friend: the Guilder
Posted: 2006-07-14, 5:35 am

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
And no coin showed up in the nooks and crannies of my clothing for months after my return as did the old 10c coin. While I do miss the colorful old notes, I don't miss those tiny little coins.
Posted: 2006-07-14, 11:25 am

gezellig
I miss more what they could do for you. 50g f OR s - those were the days.
Posted: 2006-07-14, 1:50 pm

Sam40
I loved the honderd's. They would change completely every year or sometimes twice in one year and they were over the top gorgeous! Iv'e got several different nice examples in my collection. I may frame them like prints.
Posted: 2006-07-18, 2:11 am

Zack
I loved the Guilder and miss it all the time, and for a couple of reasons.

First and foremost, the guilder bought way more than the Euro when compared to the US Dollar conversion, just after the conversion. Everybody, including the girls, took advantage of the conversion rate at the time to increase prices, so everything is more expensive just for showing up. Now, with the American economy going though difficult times, it is even worse.

Then, they were also pretty.

I do have a question though. Does anybody know if paper French Francs can still be turned in? I have 200 Francs that are just sitting in my drawer.

Thanks.

Zack
 [ 5 posts ] 

Jump to: