Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 28 posts ]  Previous  1, 2
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: LAPTOPS
Posted: 2006-07-26, 7:24 pm

JBIG
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
wow... this was a popular one

last question I have is simply about the memory or what have you
if I want to put a few movies on the laptop, and be able to watch them on the plane
is there additional stuff I will need?

would I be better with the 100 instead of the 80 upgrade?
thanks

and I also liked all the info about where to find the hotspots in Amsterdam
what about other cities? are they anywhere near as good as Amsterdam for laptop use etc
Posted: 2006-07-26, 8:54 pm

WoofieeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
First, the links for wifi - I just did a google for "free wifi hotspot amsterdam" - I'm not sure it gets any easier than that.

First and foremost - Google is your friend. ;)

As far as the hard drive sizes go, more is always better. RAM is equally important, but the analogy I always use is that your computer is your desk - with more RAM you've got a bigger desktop and can do more work at once. With a larger hard disk you've got more drawers and can keep lots more on file.

Yeah - basic, but i never know how techie a person is. Start at the basics.

That said, I think OS X is just useable at 512MB, especially since you've got to rely on 5400rpm drives for vm in the MacBook. Nanoseconds versus milliseconds, it's an order of magnitude different. I consider 1Gb the real base memory profile, and it runs well at that. But OS X is another animal at 2Gb - it's very fast indeed then.

But buy your ram elsewhere - their profit on ram is obscene. I think they do it for business, since they like a package price and often don't consider a few hundred dollars either way a big deal. Or maybe it's for the lazy, or the rich. I'm none of those and so Other World Computing often gets my business for upgrades.

All this said - figure at least 1gb ram. More if you can find a deal online (try http://www.macsurfer.com)

Now, once that's out of the way, of you can buy a larger hard drive than 80gb, go for it. You'll never have enough space, especially if you do video. Figure for every minute of uncompressed dv video, you're consuming 200-300mb of disk space. And video loves big, open unfragmented partitions.

Grab the biggest hd possible, make a 40-50gb partition just for doing video work and erase the partition between movies. Easy peasy.
Posted: 2006-07-27, 10:27 pm

linyjo
Why buy a laptop? Just wait for Woofie to leave his unattended and grab his.

By his logic, it was left alone and unprotected it becomes public property and hence it's fair game.

I just saved you a $1,000 ... I should atleast get half, you owe me $500.

On a serious note, there are plenty of computer related sites that could answer your question better than here.

Posted: 2006-07-27, 10:30 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
How many unhappy Mac users have you met?
Posted: 2006-07-27, 10:55 pm

WoofieeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Nope - I'm not going to bite. ATXXX made his point (but I'd suggest you re-read my point about what constitutes "property"...)

Snatch my Mac when I'm away from it...I'm never away from it!
As if. ;)

Best thing I ever did was dump Windows.
Posted: 2006-07-28, 1:24 am

JBIG
what is the best way to save movies to a laptop, and I mean DVDs for the plane trip not the home videos I make every time I go

I know DV takes a load of space but what about DVDs and what is the best way to do it

also, will I be able to play DVDs purchased in Amsterdam? I think not right...
Posted: 2006-07-28, 1:36 am

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Without going into a lot of detail, my suggestion would be to make standard DVDs. That way they will play everywhere not just on your laptop. There are ways to compress the files even more, but DVD blanks are cheap, so why not go for the better resolution.

Rather than NTSC in Europe you will find PAL format DVDs (or rarely SECAM). I have no problem playing PAL DVDs on my Mac, but old fashioned DVDs and TVs in America won't play them...however there are various kinds of multiformat DVD players, converting players, multi-sync monitors, etc. Depending on the specifics of your gear you may or may not be able to play PAL DVDs at home. Check your manuals if you have some fancy gear...it may already do what you need it to.
Posted: 2006-07-28, 6:40 am

WoofieeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Neurosynth is right - the big issue is regions, and even laptops make you choose a region to view. You can only change a region 5 times, I think, before the laptop dvd is stuck playing that region.

If you want to rip a dvd to your laptop for travel, check versiontracker.com for "dvd ripper" - on the Mac, there's MacTheRipper, Handbrake, Roxio Popcorn... my fav right now is VisualHub ( http://www.techspansion.com/visualhub/ ) which can convert basically anything to anything.
 [ 28 posts ]  Previous  1, 2

Jump to: