Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 6 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Gezellig and Midlife Crisis
Posted: 2006-08-05, 2:12 pm

Gilby
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Greetings all
Having just recently discovered Gezellig. The vibe that a person experiences while in Amsterdam. I make another journey to our beloved city. The third trip in the last 14 months. These trips require much planning and cash. All those who regularly post and report on this great forum are quite familiar all of that.

I could use my time and money is other pursuits. I need to replace my piece of shit car. The driveway needs resurfaced. I have a couple of trees in the backyard that should be cut down and hauled away. Blah, blah, blah. None of that will be tended to this summer. In just 20 days I will cram myself into airliner for the 11 hour flight. Haul my gear from Shipol to a houseboat near the Heinekin brewery. Then escape my world for 10 glorious days.

It is not worst way to deal with a midlife crisis. Pushing 50 years old, I feel the desperation that is common with men my age. So many dreams and ambitions unfulfilled. It is all very haunting. Never again will an athletic achievement be written about me in the sports page. Not that is has happened in the last 30 years, but I remember the time…A very long time ago… Hot chicks now ignore me. Young men call me “Mister or Sir”. Never did buy that Corvette that I wanted. This list could go on forever. I have lived long enough to understand that fears, personal inadequacies and the like travel with a person wherever they go. Coming to Amsterdam will not offer a remedy for my midlife crisis, but it will give temporary relief.

For 10 days I will not fight traffic. My wife will not remind me that work needs done in the garden. I will not sit in a pointless meeting at work. My kids will not drain my wallet of the few dollars I have left.
I will sit in a few coffeeshops, twist up a fatty without fear of being busted. Watching the human parade on Damak provides entertainment that I have found nowhere else. Relaxing under a tree in Vondel park with no plans for what to do next. This and much more awaits…see you all there.

Posted: 2006-08-05, 5:34 pm

eddie69
Gilby I totally understand,having just turned 50 in past few months. My trip to Amsterdam and Belgium is on 8/28. Can't fucking wait. I will try for the first time Park 118 as a midlife experience. I just bought a cute 2 seater car for my crisis. I think in another life I lived in netherlands.Maybe that would explain my longing to be ther e for my fifteenth time. I know you know the feeling of anticipation and excitement as you get ready for the trip .Geez I sing Casey Jonesthe whole way from Schipol to Centraal station.. Then I pretty much run to the hotel then coffee shops dragging whoever is with me still half asleep. This trip is only 3 days in AMS but in february it will be 5 days. Write me if you are interested in having a Duvel or Amnesia haze Enjoy Ed
Re: Gezellig and Midlife Crisis
Posted: 2006-08-05, 6:50 pm

soylent Power Kat
I hear ya man, and I'm only in my late 20s! I'll be having my ten-year high school reunion this summer and I really feel I've only started accomplishing things in the last year or two. It's my own fault, really. I just chose to do nothing but smoke weed and hold shitty jobs. Up until almost two years ago, I never attended college, never owned a decent car, almost never travelled and had a general feeling of hopelessness all around. My midlife crises was coming very early.

In January of 2005 I was dragged kicking and screaming to Amsterdam by my best friend. I couldn't afford it at the time, and was just starting to bring myself out of my rut by working an insane amount of hours and preparing to start college. I also had no idea what I was missing at the time, having never been there. So I went. I had one of the best and most eye-opening experiences ever. I have been a changed man ever since.

Whatever early midlife crises I was starting to have was kicked into overdrive by that first trip. I found myself asking why the hell I had not been to Amsterdam at least a dozen times already. I was quick to realize that it was because A: I could never afford it, and B: I WAS an ignorant American with no desire to see the world. Since that first trip, I've done many things to correct these issues within myself. I've come to realize I love travelling, which has made me ambitious towards making money. My first trip to Holland inspired me to learn a shitload more than I need to about their culture, including the language. That has since expanded to include other cultures as well, so the place has definitly made me a more cultural person. A real dream of mine is to attend school one day in Holland, which has kept me on track with my studies here at home. I'm currently on the Dean's list at my college, while I was an utter failure in high school. I now have real hopes and dreams that go beyond just a fancy house and car. I still may not know exactly what I want to do with my life, but I have a better understanding of the things I want to accomplish within it. Amsterdam is partly to thank for this.

My point here is, if Amsterdam is what you feel you need for some peace of mind, go for it. We only get one life to live here guys. Do what makes you happy. Regretting things you didn't do in life are often times worse than regretting the things you did. I know that when I'm on my deathbed I'll be able to reflect on my life and say I have lived it to the fullest, with no regrets.

Cheers,
Soy
Posted: 2006-08-08, 10:19 pm

freakpa
Gilby, my man, I would be honoured to meet you at a coffeeshop when you get out here. Hit me up.
Posted: 2006-08-09, 8:44 am

vicgoo
well i,m 50 also but having the time of my life being around the 20-30 y/o crowd.I go to all the raves i can find in Holland.Was at 4 of them this year .In Feb Trance Energy, Masters of Hardcore,earlier this summer In Almere -Defqon 1 and the 2 Sensation parties at the arena,came back home here in Hawaii and went to Love festival.Have a slight hard time getting ladies that age that are not hookers to be with me but manage to have a 28 y/o in Amsterdam and just met one here in Honolulu,don,t know exact age early 20,s ? I just wish the young people in the US would be like their counterparts in NL and enjoy the techno and hardstyle music instead of this shitass hip-hop -i hate that shit.That,s why there,s so much violence in the US-hip hop just talks of violence,just listen to the words.With the help of my lady friends in Europe my 60gb Ipod is over half full with all the techno,trance ,hardcore,hardstyle music from NL-long live Neophyte,Armin Van Buuren,Luna,etc.

1 thing i differ from that crowd though at least in the US-that,s in cars, i much rather have a Mercedes or Cadillac that,s a few yrs old over a new pimped out compact that so popular here.But then my first car when i was 15 was a OLDS 98 sedan-i always liked the big cars.At least in Amsterdam they don,t give a rat,s ass what you drive.I did have a nice jaguar last trip.

Just a question if anyone has info,my friend thereis checking withj no success but i,m looking for the exact date of the Qlimax party that,s usually in Arnhem in November

Posted: 2006-08-09, 8:59 pm

Maxx
I think you really nailed the feeling of relaxation and contentment that so many of us get from our time in Amsterdam. I had my crisis at 37 years old and have been finding peace and refuge in Amsterdam for ten years.
Enjoy.
 [ 6 posts ] 

Jump to: