Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 7 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
how far out of rld is safe at night
Posted: 2006-08-10, 11:07 am

annyman
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
hi
i was going to book a trip to amsterdam, i went to stay in an appartment with a little more privacy and space than a hotel room,

the problem im having is that i carnt find a cheap appartment to rent in the centre of the red-light district (about 120 euros a night) they are all alittle bit out the way, i was wondering since ive never been that how far away from the rld is busy, i dont want to be in the centre of things then at about 11pm go back to my aprmnt lets say in the jordan, and find its quiet enough for muggers to do thier thing

any help

heres what im looking for

if i can find a cheap nice appartment in the rld it has to be on the 2nd/3rd ish floor with a nice bathroom, overlooking some cool action, (windows)

if i carnt find that type then il have to move a few minutes out, but the question is how far, i want to be about 3-4 mins away but will it be dodgy to walk back at night
thanks
Re: how far out of rld is safe at night
Posted: 2006-08-10, 1:38 pm

greenhoffSupporting Member
Supporting Member
case of using common sense. rld is safe to walk around but id advise not walking in dark alleyways after 2am. never had a problem, dont think you will either

Posted: 2006-08-10, 4:30 pm

Nitrostar
We've booked a hotel near the Leidseplein for our next trip. It is quite a trek from the RLD (but we won't go to the RLD at night anyway) but as it is near a major entertainment area of Amsterdam we're pretty sure it will be pretty safe. It sounds like you're looking for something closer though. Still, you're not that far away by tram. There should be some hotels towards the top of Leidseplein which isn't that far from the RLD (we're staying at the bottom).

Last time we stayed at a cheap hotel far down in the south east and it was quite unnerving walking back after a few hours in Rokerij.
Posted: 2006-08-10, 10:56 pm

aldo
annyman,

dont think of A'dam as the Bronx !
dont walk in the rld vary late (2am) in the night showing you're a tourist who lost his way!
would have no problem with an appartment out of the rld, if you stay in the centrum or just outside it, doesnt take more than 20 min walking to get there. A'dam is not that large!
remember, the more you're outside the rld, the safer

enjoy!
Posted: 2006-08-11, 5:19 pm

Bxboy56
Aldo,
I'm sure you didn't mean the Bronx is not safe....As someone who was born in The Bronx and still lives here 50 years later, I can assure you the views most people get as described by the media is false. The Bronx is just as safe or dangerous as any other urban area throughout the world. There was a periood in the 1970's that The Bronx was highlighted as the most dangerous place in the world. Crack, homlessness, unemployment, corrupt officials and a host of other things would make any city a tough place to live. I can assure you that at this writing there are many more dangerous places than The Bronx. As someone who as walked the streets of many areas in Amsterdam & the "South Bronx" at night, if you hold yourself with confidence, head help up, mind your business and don't look anyone passing straight in the eye, you should not encounter any problems.

Bxboy56
Posted: 2006-08-21, 5:15 pm

french7034
On last trip had a second floor appartment, maybe 3rd? It was about 10 mins (when sober) 20 (when not) walk back and we never had problems. It was on NZV near the bottom 1 minute from Spui Square. Lovely place, booked with stayAmsterdam' appartments. Only thing is it was a bit of a mission to get there and back when fucked! But, dont worry, shouldnt be any problems in this place, keep to the main roads!

Frenchy

Posted: 2006-08-21, 7:55 pm

moondog
I've walked around Leidesplein fissed as a part around 2 am and it never felt dangerous at all - a lot safer than where I Iive in England!
 [ 7 posts ] 

Jump to: