Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 9 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Carry on luggage/A-dam
Posted: 2006-08-11, 10:38 pm

pepsi
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Does anyone have any info on coming in and out of Amsterdam from the states if you can have laptops/video cams on your carry on or is it like coming in and out of Britian?

Thanks.
Re: Carry on luggage/A-dam
Posted: 2006-08-12, 12:18 am

Nitrostar
From what I've heard the US policy regarding carry-on items is identical to the British policy at present and unlikely to change.
Posted: 2006-08-12, 12:33 am

papawhiteheadSupporting Member
Supporting Member
From the Continental website:

Current as of Fri., August 11, 2006 11:00 a.m. Central . Information is updated as it is received.

For all flights to, from, and within the United States

The Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security has determined that there is a high risk of terrorism against U.S. civil aviation, and the need for extra restrictions to assure the security of air travel.

On instruction from the Transportation Security Administration, Continental Airlines advises customers that no liquids or gels are permitted inside the sterile area through the screening checkpoint or be in accessible baggage or on one's person except:

Baby formula or breast milk if a baby or small child is traveling
Prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger's ticket
Insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines
In addition, customers may not bring liquids and gels purchased inside the sterile area onboard the aircraft. Examples of liquids and gels include beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, toothpaste, hair gel and items of a similar consistency.

These measures apply to all scheduled and charter flight operations that depart from and operate within the United States and its territories and possessions.

All passengers are advised to travel light. Accessible property should have minimal clutter to expedite the screening process.

Between August 10 and August 23, 2006, Continental will accept a third bag free of charge (a fourth for First/International Business/BusinessFirst customers) provided it meets the carry-on bag criteria. This includes markets with checked baggage embargos. Customers may still travel with a personal carry-on item.

All passengers should plan to arrive at the airport two hours in advance of scheduled departure time for domestic travel and three hours in advance of scheduled departure time for international travel.

Continental Airlines regrets any inconveniences caused.

For all flights departing from the United Kingdom

Continental Airlines advises passengers that no items of hand baggage can be carried on board any aircraft departing any UK airport. The UK Government has advised that this instruction will apply to all airlines operating from UK airports.

Passengers may only take through the airport security search point, the following items in a single (ideally transparent) plastic bag:

Travel documents essential for the journey (eg passports, tickets and visas)

Pocket sized wallets and pocked sized purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards and identity cards). Handbags are not permitted.

Prescribed medicines essential for the duration of the flight, except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.

Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.

Contact lenses, without bottles of solution

For those traveling with an infant: baby food, milk and sanitary items essential for the flight.

Keys (but no electrical key fobs).

Every other item must be carried in customer's checked luggage.

No electrical or battery powered items including laptops, mobile phones, ipods, remote controls etc can be carried in the cabin and must be checked as baggage.

All passengers should plan to arrive at the airport three hours in advance of scheduled departure time.

Continental Airlines regrets any inconvenience caused.

Continental Airlines will not accept for travel any customers not complying with this Government instruction.
Posted: 2006-08-12, 2:34 am

pepsi
I guess I'm still confused if this is just flights to and from the UK or if it appies from Seattle, WA to A-dam? In the states you have to check liquids on all flights domestic or international, but can still have laptops, and electronics on domestic flights. I still haven't seen anything about electonics from the US to other international destinations other than UK on the electronic part.

Anybody over in A-dam coming from the states in the past couple days know?

Thanks.
Posted: 2006-08-13, 6:40 am

jonny5
Pepsi,

The restrictions about no carry on bags or electronic devices are TO AND FROM BRITAIN ONLY.

If you have a flight from Seatle to Amsterdam, all you have to worry about are LIQUIDS AND GELS.

Along with the already banned carry on items like knives, etc.

The U.S. has too many business travelers to completely ban carry on bags and items like laptops.

It would kill the airline business, or at least fuck it up BADLY.

The airlines pay Congress way too much to have that happen. :)

I expect even the British will eventually loosen their policies, but it might take months or even years.
Posted: 2006-08-13, 6:41 am

jonny5
Totally wrong.

The policies ARE NOT IDENTICAL.
Posted: 2006-08-13, 12:30 pm

fredSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I just talked to a Delta agent in Frankfurt regarding laptop and electronic equipment on travel to the United States. He said, "Delta allows that but the airport security may exercise their discretion to make you check the laptop."

Regards,
Fred
Posted: 2006-08-14, 6:20 pm

Wan King
I can see alot of mobile phones etc going missing from bags from now on... also I always like to listen to my MP3 player while waiting to board the damn plane. what a pisser !!
Posted: 2006-08-14, 9:09 pm

banana61Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Rules for flights from UK relaxed today for all destinations except US. Electronics now allowed but max size of carry-on bag is smaller than before.
 [ 9 posts ] 

Jump to: