Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 5 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Buying diamonds and jewelery
Posted: 2006-08-20, 5:57 pm

Jimmy
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Further to my recent trip to Amsterdam, I spent a bit of time browsing in the windows of the many diamond dealers for a gift for my wife.

In the end I couldn't decide on what to get and wasn't even sure that the things I was looking at were a good deal or not or if I was getting ripped off as an ignorant tourist.

I am going back in November and would like to pick up a gft for my wifes Christmas present. So, can anyone recommend the best way to ensure I get best value for my money when buying a diamond ring or necklace ?

Where would the locals go to ensure best deals - diamond factory outlets or jewelers shops ?

Thanks in advance............Jimmy
Re: Buying diamonds and jewelery
Posted: 2006-08-20, 8:24 pm

fredSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Hi Jimmy,

Knowledge is good. You should learn the 4 C's of diamond. While I cannot tell the quality of the Cut and the Carat (weight), I can use the magnifying glass to access the Color and the Clarity of the diamond. You can get very confused once you step inside the jewelry shop. You should decide what you want to get (e.g. 2 carat princess cut, emerald cut, radiant cut, round cut, etc) and obtain a fair price from your local dealers.

Several years ago (the guilders days), I found a great bargain at Gassan Diamond Factory. I visited the place a year ago, it's full of tourists from Japan, China and other places. Even the price for the specials are inflated. If you have not been there, it's worth a look though.

Regards,
Fred
Posted: 2006-08-21, 9:01 am

raul
If you are in for a trip Antwerpen is a huge center for diamonds.
Just out of the train station there are 100 little and big shops where you can find everything you need at very reasonable prices (competition is fierce).

Clearly you can take a look to the RLD, which is 10 minutes away

Raul
Posted: 2006-08-22, 5:35 pm

Roland Power Kat
There are several very reputable shops where you can buy top quality jewelry.

My advice is to check at the jewelry stores at Schiphol when you arrive. Your luggage won't be there for about 20 minutes anyway. That will give you an indication of "duty free" prices. Take a note or two as to size (carat), cut, clarity, color and price and compare when you visit the various factories (assuming you are so inclined).

The locals all know Lyppens which is located on Langebrugsteeg 8 and is the the street that has the statue of Queen Wilhelmina on the corner.

The pawning of items is controlled by the government in order to avoid loan sharking or usury.

Thus, there is only one pawnshop in Amsterdam and it is located at the Bank van Leding on the Nes. Everything is checked and authenticated as well as cleaned before it is put out. Prices are about 40% of retail. That is where you will get the cheapest prices and best value in town.

Now since I have saved you lots of dough, please make a donation to this site <grin>.

Regards. Roland
Posted: 2006-08-23, 5:33 pm

Jimmy
Roland................you are a star !!!

Very many thanks for such great advice.........just the sort of thing I was looking for !!

And yes............happy to make a donation to the site.........I had no idea you relied on donations to keep the site going.

This forum has certainly saved me plenty of dough in the past and provided me with many of Amsterdams finest pleasures..........it's the least I can do.

Thanks again.................Jimmy
 [ 5 posts ] 

Jump to: