Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 13 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
LONG TIME MEMBER - needs help
Posted: 2006-09-08, 8:30 pm

JBIG
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Ok, I've been comming to this board for years. In fact just now I am thinking I will need to buy a Tshirt after I am done here cause I do love this place so much

anyway, I am staying in a different part of the city than I am usually in.
I am somewhat near leidsplein and what not, more near Vondel park in the Oud West area
I am told me street address is something like Eerste Helmersstraat 50 or 58 or something

now my questions... I think I know where most of the best coffeeshops are near there (of course any reccomendations are always welcome) Rokerij, Noon, Dolphins... etc.

Also I know los pilones and cafe de klos is there, but that is mostly where I need help.
My diet is STRICT and I can't eat most things. Fresh food is a must, and things like fruit and what not are GREAT for me to eat. My meals must be plain and simple, no wild spicy stuff or anything like that. So I was looking for some good places to eat, and #1 most important, where is the best market near by (assuming albert heijn, but where)

in general, I have enjoyed various things in the area, but I have never stayed here
help with what trams are best for going to the main areas (like pijp and dam square, rembrandt plein, etc etc.) would be GREAT GREAT help.

also, I just wanted to let you all know I am putting some of the finishing touches on my 2 travel DVDs I have been working on for over a year... many headaches have come and gone and finally it is near completion. 1 is general touristy stuff, but contains a great deal of info I have yet to see in any other Amsterdam guide, also the other is a coffeeshop/marijuana focused DVD and will show a good general variety of both American and Dutch varieties etc etc. I am looking forwardd to seeing what you all say, as I have ordered virtually every video and DVD even slightly related to Amsterdam and feel confidant my DVDs will at very least match up with some of the best out there to date.

PS: I just finished watching a DVD called FREE AMSTERDAM.... wow... I was expecting alot more from this, and I would not advise anyone to get it... unless you are looking for more or less a documentary on squatting... then it may be very good to you (www.freeamsterdamthemovie.com for anyone interested... remember THIS IS NOT MINE!)
Re: LONG TIME MEMBER - needs help
Posted: 2006-09-09, 12:52 am

Roland Power Kat
Could you get us the actual name of the street (or a major cross street) as I am a little confused. Thanks. Roland
Posted: 2006-09-09, 12:57 am

JBIG
Eerste Helmersstraat 56 III, 1054 DJ Amsterdam
Posted: 2006-09-09, 3:21 am

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
We stayed in the Oude West in April and we'll be back there in October. You're about a 10 minute walk (if that) to Leidseplein. Follow this link and you'll get a map http://tinyurl.com/evwjr . If you walk north to Kinkerstraat there's a great street market on Sundays. Kinkerstraat is a major shopping street that is almost completely untouristed. The Ten Katemarkt operates every day on one of the streets that crosses Kinkerstraat. It has lots of produce stalls as well as other foodstuffs. Theres an Albert Heijn on Kinkerstraat also. This site is devoted to the Oude West http://www.oudwestwinkels.nl/ . The #17and 7 trams stop near the corner of Kinkerstraat and Bilderdijkstraat. The 7 runs to Leidseplein and the 17 goes to the Dam and up NZ Voorburgwal. As far a coffeshops go, I just posted a request today asking for advice re: coffeeshops in the Oude West so you might want to monitor that. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me. We loved the neighborhood. Got to go, some friends are coming over to smoke.
Posted: 2006-09-09, 7:33 am

Puffin13Supporting Member
Supporting Member
In addition to the trams already mentioned, tram # 1 runs up & down the Overtoom. Good tram to use if going towards Centrum. Goes to Leidseplein, runs down Leidesstraat around Koningsplein to het Spui and down NZ Voorburgwal to Centraal Station. There is a public transport map at the GVB web site: http://www.gvb.nl/reizigers/plattegrond ... kaart.html
Side note: Be sure to have your valid ticket while riding. I've noticed quite a few "tram cops" checking people lately. Peace.
Posted: 2006-09-09, 12:48 pm

paniked Power Kat
there is also an Albert Heijn at the far end of Museumplein (away from the Rijksmuseum towards the opera), it is in a pyramid-shaped partially-underground structure, can't miss it. there is also one near Albert Cuyp Markt -- and of course there is the Albert Cuyp Markt itself as well.

-paniked

Posted: 2006-09-09, 6:18 pm

Sam40
good morgen jbig!
La Place, a cafeteria style place connected to the V&D department store is right at the tram stop MUNT and has lots of fresh fruit and veggie dishes, yoghurt shakes, soups etc...
If you see a GO FRESH SHOP, stop in and see if they meet your needs. There's at least 2 or 3 of them around town. It's a restaurant with some asian-ish dishes and sort of a vegetarian frame of mind, although there are meat dishes too. One of them is on Vijzel straat about a km from the Muntplein. They're open late too!
Speaking of fruit smoothies, have you tried the tiny little place tucked in behind the Niewe Kirk and across the strasse from the old post office mall? Yum!
Then there the Krokett's from Febo...
If you're in AMS, you're a lucky guy. Carry On!
Posted: 2006-09-09, 11:19 pm

BoneJockeyPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
If you like Cafe de Klos, try Castell BAR-becue on Lijnbaansgracht 252-253-254 just off Leidseplein. Great steaks, baby back ribs, etc.
Posted: 2006-09-09, 11:35 pm

Roland Power Kat
Thanks.

I would suggest the Saturday morning "biologisch markt" on the Prinsengracht.......bakers, cheese, meats, and other goodies. Maybe 50 stalls. All organic. You pay a little more but well worth it. Also a jewelry maker called Happy Day <grin> as he is a real salesman and an institution.

There is also a regular Saturday market called the Noordemarkt around the corner. Similar to Albert Cuyp but bigger and only till maybe 1:30.

You'll be about a 25 minute walk or tram 3.

Hope this helps. Regards. Roland
Posted: 2006-09-10, 2:18 am

THE SOAPMAN
For organic produce try the Natuurwinkle, Weteringschans 133.
Tram 6, 7, 10
not far from the brewery towards the museum

Also, if you are near the dam or the red light
you can walk east on Damstraat, (the street will change names)
and find a nice conventional fruit stand.
(near the Bluebird or the Knuffles toy store)
Posted: 2006-09-11, 10:47 pm

JBIG
WOW

this is awesome, and probably more info than I need already!
thank you thank you thank you

and I am looking VERY forward to this trip and staying in a somwhat new location (for me)
excellent tips and tram advice

TTT for more places open in the late late late hours anywhere between 23:00 to say 04:00 or 05:00... those are the times I have had the most trouble finding good food in the past

thanks for everything, even with what I have I should be good
thanks again
J
Posted: 2006-09-12, 1:38 am

BoneJockeyPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Bojo, the Indonesian restaurant near Leidseplein is open until 2:00 a.m., I believe. Never been there, but supposedly good Indonesian food with reasonable prices.
Posted: 2006-10-05, 11:53 pm

JBIG
just wanted to see if there is anything more close to where I will be staying this time
I finished mapping all the places and they are great but not super close to where I will be
is there some others?

thanks
J
 [ 13 posts ] 

Jump to: