Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 2 of 3
 [ 54 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: The Pound and the Euro. Just how wadded are you?
Posted: 2008-12-17, 4:07 pm

paniked Power Kat
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
when the Pound and the Euro reach parity, there won't be reason to complain...just reason to move to Euroland :)

as an American who spent 5 years in the UK (with exchange rates no less than $1.75 to the Pound, average about $1.85) and now earning in Euros for the last 2+ years, I can't say I have too many complaints about the present situation ;)

and, remember, if you're talking about investments or savings, there is a subtle but significant difference between actually 'losing money' and suffering a (temporary) 'decline in value' -- you only lose when or if you need to cash out at a loss.

-paniked

Posted: 2008-12-17, 6:09 pm

ragnarkar
The dollar has fallen off a cliff the last few days.. oh well.. looks like i'll opt for only Alkmaar sessions for the rest of my stay in Europe now..
Posted: 2008-12-17, 9:55 pm

amsterman Power Kat
It broke my heart today to have to change up at 1.07 :-(

I think 3 months ago i got 1.21!!! Based on what i'm changing i'm losing between 2-300 euros on exchange rate alone!! Between 4 and 6 sessions with gorgeous ladies!!! :-(

I am just addicted to beautiful women ;-)....

And like to have lots of sex with them :-)
Posted: 2008-12-17, 11:08 pm

ams2008damPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
evry 1k you lose 3 visits lol.

that could have been german kim/monika/and max......
Posted: 2008-12-18, 1:15 am

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
I thought it was bad a few days ago... now I'm truly fucking annoyed.

1 EUR = 1.44099 USD
50.00 EUR = 72.0494 USD

Oh well... one more reason to work my ass off at getting the hell out of this country permanently ASAP...

Posted: 2008-12-18, 2:10 am

ragnarkar
Quote:
I thought it was bad a few days ago... now I'm truly fucking annoyed.

1 EUR = 1.44099 USD
50.00 EUR = 72.0494 USD

Oh well... one more reason to work my ass off at getting the hell out of this country permanently ASAP...

At least I'm finally starting to break even on my European investments..
Posted: 2008-12-18, 6:15 pm

amsterman Power Kat
Travelex on line rate i see dropped from 1.07 yesterday to 1.03 today!!!!!

Fucking unbelievable!! Their on line rate is normally better than the in store rate, so unless they've narrowed the margin between the two rates then it's possible that there is less than 1 euro to the pound in store!!! I will find out in a few days!!!!

Posted: 2008-12-18, 6:49 pm

jgramos Moderator
Just been on the BBC website who get their "travel money" data through travelex.....they're saying it now:

£1 : 1.0178 euros
£1 : 1.4677 dollars

It's unbelievable how quickly finances change! I was in America last year, and got £1 : $2, and earlier this year was getting at least £1 : 1.3 euros! It doesn't look like things will get any better in the near or distant future to be honest.

I find it amusing when the British Government goes on about a "global financial crisis". It's not fucking global!!! From what I've seen personally, seen on the news, read and heard, it's pretty much the UK and USA with the problems, with one or two EU countries struggling.
In the UK how many people are un-employed with the number of jobs decreasing? According to the British Government, it's the same all over Europe, so how was I offered two jobs in Holland last week? The jobs I was offered were in two totally different types of work in different parts of Holland!

Ah well!

Peace

Posted: 2008-12-19, 4:52 am

soylent Power Kat
You guys in the UK have nothing to complain about as of yet. Try being American and go to Amsterdam these days.
Posted: 2008-12-19, 11:01 am

ragnarkar
Quote:
You guys in the UK have nothing to complain about as of yet. Try being American and go to Amsterdam these days.

Still better than paying for the overpriced ugly pros in Nevada.. (even taking into account the airfare and weak dollar..)

or getting it illegally and risk getting arrested.
Posted: 2008-12-19, 12:12 pm

Whoa Nellie
Agreed Ragnarkar, not to mention outcall can be a little hit or miss in terms of quality girls in big cities (unless you're willing to spend a fortune).

Mind you, I am severly bummed to see the dollar giving back ground as the end of the year approaches (except here in Ukraine where it is very strong with the financial crisis going on, something I hope to benefit from).
Posted: 2008-12-19, 5:24 pm

amsterman Power Kat
Had a little extra cash to change up today...had to take 1.02!!!!!! :-(

Posted: 2008-12-30, 3:38 pm

amsterman Power Kat
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7804645.stm

Now predicting parity in the finacial markets, meaning over the counter you won't get even 1 euro for every pound!!!

I had to change up my last cash last week at the airport and the rate was 95 cents for every pound. I paid £213 just to get 200 euros!!!!!!

Looks like i might not even get that in a couple of months!!!

Next time a girl tries upselling me i can officially plead poverty being English!!! LOL!!

Pound=peanuts!! Do you prefer salted or dry roasted????

Posted: 2008-12-30, 4:05 pm

jgramos Moderator
Yeah, the pound is ucked at the moment! If Europe drop their interest rates, then there is a chance the pound will slightly strengthen, but that will probably be only by a few cents! So if you've got a trip planned in the near future, grab any good rates you can find!

Travelex are trading at £1 : 1.0001 euro.

The BBC website is saying the average tourist exchange rate is at £1 : 0.9807 euro.

I'm so happy I changed some at the weekend, got £1 : 1.03 euro. I know it's not much, but that's 5 cents better than the BBC are saying! Gone are the days of almost getting 1.5 euro to the £!

Suppose that's what you get when you've got a one-eyed Scotsman that can't even drive, running the country!

Peace

Posted: 2008-12-30, 8:42 pm

Trembles
Wouldit not be better waiting 'til your in the Dam and getting most of your cash from an ATM? Would this not provide a better rate than most UK Bureau de Change?
Only disadvantage I see is the charge from your credit card provider for doing this,which in my case is minimal. Must be better than accepting these shyster tourist rates
Posted: 2008-12-31, 3:14 pm

ams2008damPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
50 euro for 15 mins.Now £50 your better of doing a trip around london.

£60.00 for half a hour £120.00 for the hour with decent girls.
£200.00 pound a hour in amsterdam now and you could be ripped off.

This is defo my last holiday for a while now in amsterdam at least until
things change.

Im now staying in a cheap hotel at 50 euro a night no breakfast nothing
because of this is just turning out to much money.
£1200 for 3 nights away is crazy.

I wont be doing much on my next holiday
Posted: 2009-01-06, 12:13 pm

jgramos Moderator
Well, the good news is, the exchange rate is creeping back up....currently at 1.09740euro to £1. So a normal, unextended session in De Wallen is currently costing us Brits about £45.56.

Peace

Posted: 2009-01-06, 1:33 pm

rheingau Power Kat
I would hold a little on your optimism JG, the Bank of England has their first meeting of the year on this coming Thursday and the gossip this week in the British press is predicting another largish UK interest rate drop, probably of 0.75%. There would then be an interest rate differential to the euro of 1.25% and the pound will drop.

The ECB will have their first monetary policy meeting on Thursday 15th January, predictions here are that they will wait to see how things are going, possible drop 2 weeks after that or in February, but probably not as large as Britain's, and possibly not at all.
Posted: 2009-01-06, 2:13 pm

jgramos Moderator
Oh, I know Rheingau, I'm not really optimistic, just making those that are planning a visit to Amsterdam soon aware that the exchange rate was good yesterday, and even better today.

I know that the Bank of England are almost certainly going to drop the interest rates this Thursday, and cause the exchange rate to drop again. I'm quite suprised that the rate is so good today, with the view that it's going to plummet again by the end of the week. Maybe the exchange rate strengthening yesterday and today will only mean the interest rate cut will effect the exchange rate, by bringing it back down to £1 : 1E, as it was before New Year's.?
Anyway, then the Eurozone are likely to have to drop their interest rates too at some point (as you said February some time), so when they do that the £ will strengthen slightly again...but it won't be by much.

Gone are the days of 150 euro's for £100! Happy days they were! lol!!

Peace

Posted: 2009-01-06, 3:00 pm

TrickyKid
I was reading Smulers new trip report without my glasses, and one heading read:

Mendi of Poundland

...and not Poland. Wishful thinking I guess!
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 2 of 3
 [ 54 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: