Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 11 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Why is punctuation so important to some?
Posted: 2007-11-18, 9:18 am

arthur
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I read at times some people being critisized for their punctuation or spelling. I dont understand this fixation at all. It doesnt really matter and we can still understand and enjoy anothers posts.

Often english is not a first language and to critisize may put others off posting, which would be a shame!

Some are just not as eloquent or as educated as others.......contribution is what is important ....................

Just my two cents worth:)
Re: Why is punctuation so important to some?
Posted: 2007-11-18, 11:44 am

bladderwart
i cOUD'NT aGre, moore? IT reelay windz me up wen peepol cant! spel or punktuate.
Posted: 2007-11-18, 12:39 pm

pussy
who cares
Posted: 2007-11-18, 12:52 pm

tw25rw Power Kat
"It doesnt really matter and we can still understand and enjoy anothers posts."

Because it makes it hard..... And most of the time, it is native English speakers that do it.

Something that always annoys me is adults being childish. Not bothering to follow basic primary school level grammar or, even worse, that juvenile sms-speak is very grating, especially when they get shirty when picked upon it.

Posted: 2007-11-18, 2:13 pm

OrcomanSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I think it's beautiful and relaxful (I hope this word exists...) to see a well written piece of text.

Not to mention -we're not all poets- that it's a form of correctness towards the language...don't contribute to kill it! :)

The sms like language or the american street slang are forms of verbal expression too; but maybe not the most appropriates when the need is to publically relate with persons of all over the world.

And I feel as a pleasure to write (or speak) at my best in the languages I know, maybe because actually I love to write and I have a literary formation (you know...Dante, Petrarca, Shakespeare 'n shit like that). :)

It's not that big effort after all...

O.

Posted: 2007-11-18, 2:35 pm

DELETED
DELETED
Posted: 2007-11-18, 2:46 pm

OrcomanSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Is there even a kids channel on Ignatzmice?!?

NOW I understand which section belongs the "Story of Menstruation" clip...

My respect and admiration toward this site grow day by day......yep.

O.

Posted: 2007-11-18, 4:39 pm

Roland Power Kat
I think it important that we try and use proper spelling, punctuation and grammar when posting so that those who may not be completely fluent in English can reasonably decipher what was written or what was intended.........and those that are English speakers can have an easier time reading.

PersonnaIly, I find the all caps, the extra long sentences with no breaks, the sms txt mssging and those who ask obviously lazy questions a bit annoying.

I can only recall a couple of times when someone, whose first language is obviously not English, was criticized for spelling or grammar. The people doing so were turds and in my view not very hospitable.

This site is about open communication and overall I find most people helpful.

Regards, Roland
Posted: 2007-11-18, 5:04 pm

jgramos Moderator
I know where the arguement about punctuation started most recently and which member it was, but there's no need to point fingers. The arguement basically started because a member did a very long post, but it did not contain any punctuation, i.e. the whole post was one sentence. That is the reason punctuation is important! So we can read them and understand them correctly.

Posted: 2007-11-18, 6:18 pm

banana61Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Because we want to understand what is being said.
Arthur wrote:
I read at times some people being critisized for their punctuation or spelling. I dont understand this fixation at all. It doesnt really matter and we can still understand and enjoy anothers posts.

Often english is not a first language and to critisize may put others off posting, which would be a shame!

Some are just not as eloquent or as educated as others.......contribution is what is important ....................

Just my two cents worth:)
is easier to understand than
Quote:
i read at times some people being critisized for their punctuation or spelling I dont understand this fixation at all it doesnt really matter and we can still understand and enjoy anothers posts often english is not a first language and to critisize may put others off posting which would be a shame some are just not as eloquent or as educated as others contribution is what is important just my two cents worth

This is about communication: sending a message that the recipient cannot understand is pointless. If you want to be understood, you don't mumble when you are speaking and you use punctuation when you are writing.

Presumably people post here because they want others understand them. If you have the skills to make understanding easier, which not all do, what is the point of deliberately not doing so?

No one is asking for great education or eloquence, just courtesy.
Posted: 2007-11-18, 10:06 pm

arthur
interesting responses!!!

Maybe some people are stoned when writing posts so they see things differently at the time!
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 11 posts ] 

Jump to: