Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 19 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Worst coffeeshop in Amsterdam?
Posted: 2006-07-23, 11:43 pm

pem
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Just got back from the Dam and I must say that it was so busy this year in the RLD that I think this may be my last trip. Everyone has gotten ruder and so hungry for a quick euro. Moreso than ever were the coffeeshops. Arabica was selling the worst hash I have come across in a long time and my other favs were just plain lame. The new Abraxas on spui was the only saviour as was Rusland. But by far the worst c/s has to be the Bulldog c/s under the hotel. I used to sit outside many a day watching the world go by and yes I would get a few drinks when the waitress was around. This year no waitress just a miserable old bastard moaning that we werent buying any drinks. OK we were stoned and normally were waited on but this prick just moaned and moaned. We always stay in the Bulldog and in the past it was never a problem. I went to get a drink, I had to wait 20mins for the girl to explain to some noobs about the skunk etc... then she forgot my order gave me the wrong drinks and charged me 7 euros for 2 oj's and a tea. I mean ffs. The next day i went in for some drinks and the guy told me off for wearing my sunglasses inside. i mean no respect at all. And he was obviously younger than me. he then tried to be clever trying to make me look like an idiot so i had a go at him and I took my drinks and told him to stick his c/s up his ass. if I was in my right mind he would have got a good hidin. In all the years I have never met so many rude people. Its a real shame cos perhaps now we will go elswhere. On the brightside, Cafe Pleinzicht was still as great as always and so were the Koninck's!!!!!!

Also Nadia from Hungary was just lovely. Gorgeous girl and a great service. I didn't see her around after which was a damn shame.
Re: Worst coffeeshop in Amsterdam?
Posted: 2006-07-24, 9:14 am

withnail Power Kat
'everyone has got ruder?'

so the entire city has lost its manners because somebody told you to take off your sunglasses indoors? you talk about 'no respect' - thats quite similar to what i think when i see those twits who walk up to the counter in their sunglasses. just good manners to take them off, isnt it? and you had to wait for the 'noobs' to get their weed - oh dear me.

glad to hear you at least enjoyed some of your trip. if i may make a suggestion perhaps stay away from the bulldog next time and enjoy some of the Netherlands. to suggest it is one of the poorer coffee shops is totally correct - did you only just realise that?

i suppose id best leave it there in case you beat me up next time youre in town.

withnail
Posted: 2006-07-24, 2:04 pm

freakpa
Bulldog sucks.

The sunglasses thing may have been for the benefit of the security camera. Some places do not allow hats for that reason.
Posted: 2006-07-24, 3:05 pm

flammableliquid
3 weeks ago I was in the bulldog on leidseplain and had no problem wearing my hat and my sunglasses and the girl behind the bar was quite nice and get my drinks always within a minute.

but I have to say I had never a problem with my hat and my sunglasses this time in adam in all coffeeshops I have been ...
Posted: 2006-07-24, 4:45 pm

amsterdamfan
Its a real shame cos perhaps now we will go elswhere.

thank fuck for that
one more less prick in amsterdam !!

Posted: 2006-07-24, 9:23 pm

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I saw an item in a magazine recently about fashion gaffs. One of them was wearing sunglassess indoor, "You may think you look glamorous, everyone else is asking 'Where's the dog'.
Posted: 2006-07-25, 12:30 am

Nitrostar
"you talk about 'no respect' - thats quite similar to what i think when i see those twits who walk up to the counter in their sunglasses. just good manners to take them off, isnt it?"

To be honest, in many parts of England it isn't that big a deal to walk into a shop with your sunglasses on, at least not presently. In most areas I don't think anyone would consider that bad manners, except perhaps in the more affluent/classy areas. Personally, I always take mine off inside so that I can see what the heck it is I'm doing but I've never felt obligated to for any other reason. I'd say it is considered rude though to wear hats, caps etc. inside though.

However, it is handy to know that it is considered rude in Amsterdam to wear sunglasses inside. Not that I'll need them in late October when I'll be going, but it is good to know for future reference.

As for the Bulldog, I went there during my last visit after I'd been to the RLD. I didn't find it to be particularly welcoming but I didn't really mind it. I didn't buy any weed from there, just a few drinks while I waited for my friend. The girl serving looked like she'd been at work for 2-days straight and desperately wanted to go home. She wasn't rude or unpleasant as such but she was quite sharp in tone and clearly just not bothered at that point. A stark contrast to the woman who had served us the night before in what I believe was Rokerij - she was very friendly, smiled whenever she walked passed, collected cups etc. and when you went up to buy another drink she'd ask if they were okay and whether you were having a good time.
Posted: 2006-07-25, 9:27 am

withnail Power Kat
well i spent 36 years living in england (never in an 'affluent' area!) and certainly never felt the urge to wear sunglasses indoors, much the same as i never felt the need to open the car sunroof on snowy days or wear my shorts in january. i think the clue is in the name SUNglasses. no sun = no sun glasses. having surveyed the scene previously i can confirm that the bulldog in question is one of the darkest coffee shops possible. maybe ill check back later in case the retractable roof is off. or maybe im just not cool? this i will have to live with.

withnail
Posted: 2006-07-25, 3:04 pm

block
My eyes are very sensitive to light therefore I wear shades to ease the strain on my eyes.I compensate for having to wear shades by wearing shades that are somewhat lighter in tint.I realy enjoy the slightly yellow tinted because they block out just enough light but they are also transparent so it does not appear to most folks that I have sunshades on.It does seem a bit strange to see someone in Europe during mid winter sitting inside a dark cafe wearing dark shades but I am a bit suprised that anyone would be ask to remove them.

Miles Davis
Posted: 2006-07-25, 3:11 pm

eddie69
PEM THE BULLDOG IS FOR FIRST TIME VISITORS ONLY. SUNGLASSES ASIDE YOU WILL DO MUCH BETTER TAKING YOUR SMOKING AND DRINKING BUSINESS ELSEWHERE AS IN WHERE A LOCAL MIGHT GO. BULLDOG IS GOOD FOR A PISS STOP[ eD
Posted: 2006-07-25, 5:31 pm

DELETED
DELETED
Posted: 2006-07-25, 5:42 pm

Nitrostar
withnail wrote:
"well i spent 36 years living in england (never in an 'affluent' area!) and certainly never felt the urge to wear sunglasses indoors, much the same as i never felt the need to open the car sunroof on snowy days or wear my shorts in january. i think the clue is in the name SUNglasses. no sun = no sun glasses. having surveyed the scene previously i can confirm that the bulldog in question is one of the darkest coffee shops possible. maybe ill check back later in case the retractable roof is off. or maybe im just not cool? this i will have to live with."

Fair enough. As I said, I don't wear sunglasses indoors because I like to be able to see what I'm doing I recall the Bulldog being pretty dim and this was at about 3-4 in the afternoon with a decent amount of light still around. I personally wouldn't be wearing sunglasses in there, even in the height of summer.
Posted: 2006-07-25, 5:48 pm

pem
OK guys this was just to see what other c/s were bad or rude for the benefit of first timers and maybe a laugh etc... instead I get criticised for wearing my sunglasses inside.

Point 1: When I entered and approached the prick at the bar I did take them off to order. Then I put them back so I dont fuck around with them outside in the blazing sun. I wasnt sitting inside with them on cos thats just lame. The guy was just a prick. Maybe to used to dealing with stoned kids. When you are in the sun allday you can forget you have them on but I never had any problem anywhere else or in any other country!

Point 2: I do know that the Bulldog is not the best but if people bothered to read my whole post they would have seen that I STAY AT THE BULLDOG HOTEL. Meaning that it is very convenient as we are right above and its a good meeting point while waiting for each other.

Finally, I would like to say that the beers still kick ass! Try out Barbar at In De Wildeman and (something) Triple at Gollem (on tap 2nd from bottom on the list) Great stuff!!!!

Ahhh Nadia!!!!

Last edited by pem on 2006-08-07, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posted: 2006-07-25, 9:25 pm

attymn
I can't imagine writing off Amsterdam because of the bad experience you wrote about. Where else can you do what the Dam offers legally?! Although I spend the majority of my time there drowning in beautiful women and great smoke, I also take some time to visit some of the great sites of the city. I wouldn't recommend staying at one of these Bulldog or c/s hotels - just seems kind of sleazy. I prefer to stay somewhere on Spuistraat or N. Voorburgwal. That way, when I make the short walk to the RLD, it seems like I'm making a great entrance through the gates of paradise! Meanwhile, I can also make a quick walk to Leidseplein, Jordaan, Dam Square, Museumplein, etc. from my hotel. Staying in the RLD (including hotel) all the time seems a bit too much.

As for nearby c/s, there are so many superior ones to choose from. De Kuil and Greenhouse, among many others, are a quick walk from any kamer experience, and they won't let you down.
Posted: 2006-07-26, 12:32 am

iloveamsterdam
what the hell is wrong about wearing sunglasses indoors?..i wear them 24/7 in the summer..helps with hayfever.. sunglasses also make it easy to hide bloodshot red eye from too much skunk!..yes. the bulldog is a tourist trap..but the location is excellent for a pitstop smoke when in the rld..and isn't it THE PLACE that started it all back in 1975??
Posted: 2006-07-26, 12:56 am

tukayaway
Point 3: Amsterdamfan I believe you should apologise as I am a top geeza not a prick.

To refer to yourself as a "top geeza", you really do come across as a prick. If a bit of a bad service constitutes a hiding, I just pray you're never in town when I am.
Posted: 2006-07-26, 1:25 am

fun_time
Tolerance man, let's have some tolerance :p

We could use some on this thread.. yeow..
Posted: 2006-07-26, 9:51 am

withnail Power Kat
i suppose im guilty of propagating this thread. lets leave it there chaps, shall we? much more interesting stuff to discuss on a lovely sunny day in amsterdam. my apologies to the original poster as i certainly hadnt intended to start a witch hunt. still think sunglasses indoors is silly though.... now what about those pink and orange trousers that the dutch have such a penchant for......?

doog!

withnail (indoors without sunglasses)
Posted: 2006-07-27, 6:11 am

linyjo
First time poster, long time lurker.

The sunglass issue did get me a hair riled up. I wear prescription glasses with dark tint. I trade off the lack of light indoors for the comfort I got outdoors, without having to carry two sets of glasses.

As far as the guy at the bar raising the issue, I would have told him to piss off and mind his own business.

[ 19 posts ] 

Jump to: