Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 1 post ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
"Nederwiet" Documentary - recommended
Posted: 2012-09-23, 5:30 pm

MacSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I just saw a great documentary in my local station about the Dutch weed industry. The original is in dutch (although my local station had it close captioned):

http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/afleveringen/1100328

The film, from 2011, details the intricate and paradoxical weed distribution system in the NL, by which coffeeshops can legally sell through the front door produce which they have no legal means to acquire. It follows coffeeshop owners (Siberie, Greenhouse) and shows their beaureucratic struggles, the intricate logistics involved in getting the supply to the shop, the growers woes, and also the POV of the law, including following police as they raid local growers (as part of the filming project the 2 film makers decided to try themselves to produce a small commercial harvest. No easy task).
I had no idea that this side of the business was so complex, and have now a new appreciation towards the coffeeshop owners who really have a day to day struggle to maintain their business. It was also eye-opening to see the internal struggle the dutch legal system has with itself as it tries to deal with these issues.

Highly recommended (even in the original language version).
 [ 1 post ] 

Jump to: