Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 11 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Question about Tourism to Colorado because of legalized pot
Posted: 2013-02-21, 2:21 am

jimcdenco
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I live in Denver, Colorado and the last election the people voted to legalize pot. There has been much debate here about how we would sell it, tax it, who could buy it, etc. Watching the news today the Tourism Boarded voted not to promote pot to bring in tourism since the marijuana task force decided that they won't forbid tourist from buying it. Some believe we will get a lot of "Pot Tourism" some say we will lose Convention Business because of the pot. I don't know how it will go but one thing is for sure, it's legal now to possess and soon will be for sale in Pot Shops. Question is, will you come to Colorado because Pot is legal and you hope to partake in it?

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article ... -legal-pot
Re: Question about Tourism to Colorado because of legalized pot
Posted: 2013-02-26, 8:23 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
It seems to me that given the novelty and national news coverage, the Tourism Board may not need to publicize the availability of weed. A good portion of that target audience already knows. I've already been thinking about checking out the scene in Colorado once things get going.

Posted: 2013-02-27, 12:10 pm

Shinken69 Power Kat
I for one would be interested in a US based weed destination.
However, it really depends on the scene that develops around it and how accepting the locals are about weed tourism.
Where would I stay? Where would I smoke? Where could I go/not go while stoned?
Can it really be as laid back as in Amsterdam?

I've seen ugly situations with the cops in the US just because someone was a bit drunk.
I've had dirty looks whilst buying a case of beer and been asked to leave a bar because I'd had six beers already (still perfectly in control, having a quiet conversation with a friend).
So just because its legal doesn't mean it's acceptable (to the puritans at least).

That said, if a cool scene developed around it, I'd be on board.
Time will tell.

I do salute the people of Colorado for taking a positive step in the right direction.

As to the negative impact on convention business..... Isn't Amsterdam a HUGE convention destination??
But then in Europe, we don't need to pander to the puritans.

Posted: 2013-03-05, 7:08 pm

Brunettes
Meh, not much of a weed guy. Maybe I'll do it once or twice to relieve some stress but that's it. Besides, I can't see myself making the drive just for weed. Now if there were some legal girls involved that woul be different. ;)
Posted: 2013-03-05, 7:10 pm

Brunettes
Shinken69 wrote:
I've had dirty looks whilst buying a case of beer and been asked to leave a bar because I'd had six beers already

Where was this at? This wouldn't happen to you in Vegas, NYC, etc.
Posted: 2013-03-06, 3:57 pm

Shinken69 Power Kat
Brunettes wrote:
Shinken69 wrote:
I've had dirty looks whilst buying a case of beer and been asked to leave a bar because I'd had six beers already

Where was this at? This wouldn't happen to you in Vegas, NYC, etc.

This has happened a whole bunch of places across the US.
Not in NYC though.
The disapproving looks and muttered comments are more likely in the smaller towns, but the being asked to leave when they decide you've had enough, has happened in many major cities.
Last time was in Chicago.
Some are subtle about it.
They bring you the bill before you've asked for it, implying that you've had enough.
Others just plain refuse further service.

Let me be clear here, on NONE of these occasions have I been drunk.
I'm talking about having a bunch of beers with a meal over a period of a few hours.

I'll also add that I have experienced this in Canada too.
Maybe it's me. Perhaps I look like I'm going to be trouble if I get loaded. NOT!!

Posted: 2013-03-06, 4:24 pm

whatevr018
I live in Vegas so I would come to Colorado to get weed, not that there is any problem getting weed in Vegas. I do think that once other surrounding states see how much money both Colorado and Washington are making from legal weed, other states (california, oregon, nevada) will also make it legal. having said that, there is no place in the world like amsterdam so i will continue to visit (that is unless or until the immigrant problem gets so out of hand that the city is no longer safe/fun to visit). t minus 16 hours before i land in amsterdam again.
Posted: 2013-06-03, 5:48 pm

steven
steven shall most certainly be going to Colorado to smoke and "chill". Wish the state would have the regulations in effect right now as they are not and it appears it shall be several more months before they are.

The next thing Colorado needs to work on is legalizing brothels.
Posted: 2013-08-30, 6:15 pm

jimcdenco
Well, it looks like we've cleared the biggest hurdle, starting Jan 1st we will now be allowed to buy recreational marijuana from a pot shop with no interference from the Federal Government!

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/ne ... s-20130830
Posted: 2013-09-11, 3:02 am

jimcdenco
Colorado has finalized rules for recreational pot!

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... m=facebook

In 136 small-type pages, Colorado this week became the first state in the country to adopt final rules for recreational marijuana businesses.

The rules, released late Monday, cover everything from pot shop licensing to inventory tracking to marijuana packaging to advertising. They also represent the most comprehensive effort to date to take the once all-illegal marijuana market and harness it into what supporters say will be controlled, refined legitimacy.

Applications to open a recreational marijuana store can be filed starting

COLORADO POT RULES
Read: The Colorado Department of Revenue's Retail Marijuana Code
in only three weeks. The first stores are expected to open around Jan.1, 2014.
"These rules are designed not to make the operation of Retail Marijuana Establishments unreasonably impracticable, but also promote public safety and ensure compliance with constitutional and statutory guidelines," the Colorado Department of Revenue, which will oversee the industry, wrote in a cover letter to the rules. "...[T]hese rules accomplish the state of Colorado's guiding principle through this process: to create a robust regulatory and enforcement environment that protects public safety and prevents diversion of Retail Marijuana to individuals under the age of 21 or to individuals outside the state of Colorado."

The rules changed little from their draft form, but the final version provides crucial certainty for would-be marijuana entrepreneurs.

Among the highlights of the rules:

• All marijuana stores, cultivation facilities and marijuana-infused products makers must be licensed and pay fees ranging from $2,750 to $14,000.

• Until October 2014, recreational marijuana stores must grow themselves almost all the pot they sell.

• All businesses must use the state's forthcoming online inventory tracking program to document their marijuana's journey from cultivation to processing to sale.

• Businesses must follow extensive security requirements, including having a surveillance camera that can document marijuana sales and "the customer(s) and employee(s) facial features with sufficient clarity to determine identity."

• Marijuana must be placed into opaque, child-resistant packages before leaving the store. The packages must also contain a label that lists the pot's potency and any non-organic pesticides or fungicides used in its cultivation.

• Marijuana stores cannot advertise in places where kids will likely see it, including on television, on the radio or in newspapers where there is "reliable evidence" that "more than 30 percent of the audience ... is reasonably expected to be under the age of 21."

• Marijuana businesses are subject to an audit or inspection by the state Marijuana Enforcement Division at any time.

The executive director of the Department of Revenue, Barbara Brohl, said in a statement that the rules will ensure Colorado does not run afoul of the federal government. Last week, the U.S. Department of Justice said it would not interfere in Colorado's or Washington state's legalization of marijuana, so long as the states create tight rules to keep pot away from kids and criminal gangs and out of neighboring states.

Ron Kammerzell, the department's deputy senior director of enforcement, said the rules will provide clear guidelines for both pot shops and pot cops.

"Good regulation not only needs to be easy to understand, it must also provide authorities the ability to enforce the regulation in a fair and transparent manner," Kammerzell said in a statement.

Officials in Washington are writing rules for their recreational marijuana industry, and are expecting to finish the task in October.
Posted: 2013-12-20, 8:11 am

jimcdenco
For those interested, here's the Denver Post's article on the Do's and Don'ts of recreational pot. Starting Jan 1st pot will be for sale in Denver and Colorado!

For those of you who are wanting to come to Colorado for pot, note that visitors will be allowed only a quarter ounce as residents can buy an ounce. So, I don't know if that is per store visit or somehow they will keep track of it while visitors are here, I actually highly (no pun) doubt that they can track that.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24750 ... tional-pot

Colorado marijuana: The do's and don'ts of new recreational pot law
By John Ingold
The Denver Post
POSTED: 12/18/2013 02:20:01 PM MST13 COMMENTS| UPDATED: ABOUT 12 HOURS AGO

Colorado's recreational marijuana law has left some with questions about what they can and can't do when the first retail shops open on Jan. 1.

What you can do if you are over 21:

• Use marijuana

• Possess up to an ounce of marijuana

• Grow up to six plants in your home

• Buy up to an ounce of marijuana at a licensed pot shop, provided you have a Colorado I.D. Out-of-staters can buy up to a quarter ounce.

• Share up to an ounce of marijuana with a friend, as long as you're not getting paid

What you can do if you are under 21:

• Unless you're a medical-marijuana patient, nothing. All marijuana possession and use remain illegal for you

Colorado Marijuana
Colorado Marijuana
More coverage of how marijuana is changing Colorado
What you can't do:

• Use marijuana in public or anywhere else it is banned — like a school or on federal land.

• Drive stoned

• Give marijuana to people under 21

• Take marijuana across state lines

Where can you do it:

• Private property, with the owner's permission. But not at a marijuana store or anywhere the Colorado Clean Indoor Air Act applies

• If you're growing marijuana, only in an "enclosed, locked space"

John Ingold: 303-954-1068, jingold@denverpost.com or twitter.com/john_ingold

Read more: Colorado marijuana: The do's and don'ts of new recreational pot law - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24750 ... z2nzbFzrJa
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook
 [ 11 posts ] 

Jump to: