Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 20 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
best coffee shop to stop at first
Posted: 2005-04-09, 1:52 pm

tja0422
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Which place closest to central station would you recommend as the first stop? We have to stay close to CS because the guy we are getting the apartment from is meeting us there, we were thinking about going to central, what do you think?
Re: best coffee shop to stop at first
Posted: 2005-04-09, 7:19 pm

GrijpstraSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Central's gear is great.
I had avoided it until last trip for some reason but will not do so again.
If I can find my notes I'll try to do as abc123 and write up a smoke report.
Posted: 2005-04-10, 12:19 am

LaszloSupporting Member
Supporting Member
How far from CS are you willing to wander and have you been to Amsteram before? I ask because there's no shortage of coffee shops within a 5 - 10 min. walk from CS but if you aren't familiar with the streets you might want to settle for the easy to find places.

Perhaps one of the two Grasshoppers? You'll see one on your left as you walk away from CS on Damrak - it's at the corner of the boat harbor on the way to the Wallen RLD. The other is on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal (the busy street with on from the west side of CS, or right side with CS at your back). Neither Grasshoppers are "connoisseurs shops" but neither are rip-offs either.

If you're familiar with the street layout or are looking for something less conventional and you can venture deeper into the side streets and find Kadinzky in a little alleyway between Damrak and Nieuwendijk to name just one of many coffie shops with a less commercial ambiance than the Grasshoppers.

For a list of coffie shops in the Centrum complete with commentary have a look at http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/Databa ... A.html#A29
Posted: 2005-04-10, 10:32 pm

paniked Power Kat
Siberie or Hunter's Bar -- neither is as close as Central, but their not much further (though in opposite directions). I posted an extensive walking tour for new visitors in one of my Coffeeshop Tour reports, have a Search for that.

personally, I would avoid the Grasshopper's and most other tourist shops in the RLD -- nothing is so far in central Amsterdam that you should settle for something subpar.

to each their own though of course!
-paniked

Posted: 2005-04-11, 4:23 pm

heynow1210
420/De Kuil. Very close to Central Station, great weed and you can have a beer as well.
Posted: 2005-04-12, 12:18 pm

Jack Herer
Avoid places like Grasshopper as your first stop, because you will have to fork out 15-20 Euros for a bag of weed that will Cost you 10 in other shops

Future is normally my first stop, Small, and not much to look at, but its quiet, weed is top notch and cheap, and service has always been good. Plus i cant get enough of their Skunk Hasj, at 10 Euro a gram its a bargain!! Places like Hunters, Homegrown Fantasy and Greenhouse are always close 2nds too

Theres plenty close to the station, but most people just head for Grasshopper because they cant be arsed to look!!
Posted: 2005-04-12, 12:48 pm

smokey
I like to go to the Central Coffee Shop first. To the Left, just across the street from central station. Their weed and hash selection is in a wood box that the dealer opens up. It looks like an extra large batgammon board with plastic bags clipped inside. Central opens up at 7:00 a.m.. So after an 8 hour flight from Detroit that arives at 6:15 a.m., I can be sitting at the counter looking out the front window of Central coffe shop by 7:15a.m. I look forward to watching all of the activity in front of Central Station durring morning rush hour. There is no better way to start a trip in Amsterdam than smoking your first joint, and watching thousands of people, bikes, cars, trucks and trams from the front counter of Central Coffee Shop.

Smokey
Posted: 2005-10-05, 1:01 am

dizbuster34
Barney's is my 1st stop. I get 1-2 grams of Sweet Tooth, Morning Glory, Laughing Buddha or Amnesia Haze. From there 420 coffeeshop, Anyday, but never The Bulldogs-ugh...MickeyD's of coffeeshops.
Posted: 2005-10-05, 1:50 am

conman
My first stop is Speak Easy ,Oudebrugsteeg 4, a few doors down from the grasshopper they have really good value and very close to CS.
Posted: 2005-10-05, 6:03 am

dizbuster34
What kind of strains do they have on their menu? Thanks!
Posted: 2005-10-05, 4:06 pm

conman
Although i have not been in AMS recently to check the Speak Easy menu, they have a wide selection. It is more of a working mans coffeeshop, so don't be put off by the atmosphere.
It can be crowded, but you can usually find a seat. I buy my smoke there and hang out at other coffeeshops, you'll then see how much Euro you can save by going to the Speakeasy.
you can try email at speak-easy@hi.nl

Hope this helps
Posted: 2005-10-05, 6:43 pm

dizbuster34
Thanks conman! I'll e-mail & make a point to stop by & check their menu.
Posted: 2005-10-05, 7:39 pm

luther vandross
De Kuil is a good choice because it's close to Central Station and you have the beer option. Isn't it a great feeling when you walk out of the station, wherever you might be headed, and you know you are just minutes from having a nice, unhassled, virtually legal smoke? A'dam, you're a great town!

Posted: 2005-10-06, 12:35 am

ignatbandit
CS Central is good - I have still not made it there yet but shall do so in a month's time.

Hunters Bar is greast, and remember - you can take your smoke and smoke in Hunters Vodka Bar, right across the road! Great for groups!
Posted: 2005-10-06, 3:02 am

dizbuster34
Hunter's Bar is great...I agree! Large selection of weed & hash. I believe they are entered into this years Cup. Fucking Crazy Ass Dog sitting on top of the bldg out front. Priceless...
Didn't know about the bar across the road, I'll check it out. Learn something new everyday, I swear (did that already earlier in the post).
Posted: 2005-10-29, 3:08 am

curiious
kadinskys
adams apple + white russian
Posted: 2005-10-29, 3:21 am

larrylapdance
Definitely Barney's. I'm not sure of your schedule but I always arrive in the morning from the States and they definitely have the best breakfast (at least best coffeeshop breakfast) in A'dam.

The Laughing Buddah is my favorite AND they have a vaporizer for your pleasure (important to me).

Perennial cup winners...nice people....you just can't go wrong at Barney's...cu there on Tuesday ;)
Posted: 2005-10-29, 11:23 pm

stuarty1873Supporting Member
Supporting Member
De Kuill
Posted: 2005-10-31, 1:46 am

iloveamsterdam
anyday or picasso,