Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 4 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
The "Cannabis Hour of Power"
Posted: 2005-07-13, 12:32 pm

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I'm currently on vacation in Kauai. I was in the car this afternoon listening to a local radio station when I heard the usual disclaimer, "the following program is not produced by station KONG but has been produced by..." I figured that some right wing nut preacher was about to come on but no! What came on was the "Cannabis Hour of Power". It was the strangest radio show I've ever heard. For those of you old enough to remember Firesign Theatre, I thought I was listening to Pastor Flash. Instead it was Reverend Roger Christie. The show began with the statement "We use cannabis religiously and so can you". Reverend Christie announced that we should get pencil and paper and he would explain how to mount a legal defense to a possession charge on the basis that cannabis use is a "sacrament of your religion". After about 10 minutes of new age babble, long quotations from Yoko Ono and other bizarre stuff, I reached my destination and had to get out of the car.

When I got back to where I'm staying I found their web site http://thc-ministry.org/ it's very strange and pretty amusing. If you go there please make sure to click on "sanctuary kit" . The whole enterprise appears to be a money making scam, but as I said it's strange enough to warrant a visit. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way trying to make fun of or insult those who favor legalization, I enthusiastically support legalization. But this struck me as wierdly funny and I thought I'd share.
Re: The "Cannabis Hour of Power"
Posted: 2005-07-13, 8:30 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Amusing, and not sure if it is well intended or a knowing scam...

but it's already well established by legal precedent (in the US) that "freedom of religion" claims do not trump current drug laws.
Posted: 2005-07-13, 10:37 pm

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
The only thing that looks legit about this is that the guy who wrote the Cannabible praises the reverend somewhere on the site. Anyone interested in the legal precedent that neurosynth cites can find it at http://www.oyez.org/oyez/resource/case/110/
Posted: 2005-07-14, 2:05 am

luther vandross
Love their motto, "We use cannabis religiously and you can, too."

[ 4 posts ] 

Jump to: