Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 22 posts ]  1, 2  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
U.S Police action on Cannabis
Posted: 2005-08-06, 7:47 pm

420 Power Kat
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Not sure if this thread will stay in the Amsterdam forum but there seems to be much bigger following of news related to Cannabis here than on the World section..

On July 29, US Drug Enforcement Agents and Vancouver Police conducted a combined raid against the BC Marijuana Party Store and Headquarters in Vancouver.

They have accused BC Marijuana Party Leader Marc Emery of selling marijuana seeds to Americans by mail order.

Now, US cops want to extradite Emery to the US. They want him to stand trial under US law, where he could face a LIFETIME JAIL SENTENCE, just for selling pot seeds in Canada.

Marc Emery is a Canadian Citizen, born in London, Ontario. He is Canada's foremost marijuana activist and advocate for the cannabis culture. He is the founder of trhe BC Marijuana Party, the owner of Pot-TV, and the publisher of Cannabis Culture Magazine. He has twice run for Mayor of Vancouver. He is a hero to the global Marijuana movement and was dubbed "The Prince of Pot" by CNN in a 1997 feature story. The royal title stuck, and was even listed on the warrant used to arrest him

The illegality of marijuan seeds is questionable in Canada, and even the Vancouver police do not consider selling pot seeds to be an "arrestable offence."

Unsatisfied with Canada's tolerance for marijuana and political activism, American authorities decided to bypass Canada's judicial system and secretely charge Emery under US Law.

Emery faces no charges in Canada. He is a Canadian citizen who has not even been the US in for over 15 years. Yet US authorities are claiming jurisdiction over hime, and are demanding that he be sent to America to stand trial, and then receive a minimum sentence of 10 years to life imprisonment.

There will be a huge rally at the US Consulate on Sept, 10 to protest the American police action on Canadian Soil.

This is just the tip of the International issues regarding pot in Vancouver. Criminal syndicates are using English teachers, Japanese tourists, and Korean and Vietnamese refugees returning home to carry the potent B.C Bud and other drugs across the Pacific,,,, thats another story!

Last edited by 420 on 2005-08-13, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: U.S Police action Cannabis
Posted: 2005-08-06, 8:16 pm

luther vandross
Much ado about something that gives so much joy (and to the ill, comfort) to so many. U.S. authorities are in denial, as are most governments in the world. Seems as if terrorism or the meth plague might be more important to Uncle Sam, but then again the war on marijuania is big business (nice big SUV police cruisers bought with confiscated pot money, as well as government grants that employ law enforcement), they can't let go.
I'm not so naive, that in this crazy world, we don't need the Man, but I just wish he'd pick his spots a hell of a lot better.

Posted: 2005-08-07, 12:20 am

fallen_buddha
The Royal Canadian Mounties in the raid confiscated all shipping records, purchase records, and other customer lists to be turned over to the U.S. The U.S. National office of drug policy has declared marijuana the number one danger in the war on drugs, and will no doubt use these records to search peoples homes who are listed in the records, just as they did in 1989 when they raided many grow shops that were advertising in high times magazine and confiscated shipping records, subsequently used to obtain search warrants for many peoples homes. Just something to think about, if they dont get Emery, they will get lots of little guys in america who are harmless hippies growing their own as not to have to support the organized crime involved in the black market marijuana trade, the people who kill cops and kidnap dea agents, etc.

peace -fb

Posted: 2005-08-07, 7:07 am

PARAQUAT
Terrible! Terrible! Terrible!

I so admire a person that leads the way when everyone else hides in the shadows. I too have been hiding in the shadows with my own use and when I see the persecution that is taking place I realize its sole purpose is to keep us all hiding in the shadows.

My hat is off to Marc Emery. He is willing to stand for what he believes in against uncermountable odds. If more of us were not worried about the neighbors reactions, or what might happen to our kids at school if people found out about their parents dirty little secret, we might start to see change. 10% is a huge portion of the population for such a small voice.

I am very familiar with what took place back in the eighties in the N.W. with the raids on the grow shops. Everyone laid low and didn't replace their bulbs for a while but as far as actual growers convictions nothing took place. Once again that sole purpose, as now, was to keep us all scared. Once we start getting to cocky they send a message and the game continues.

Another recent bust on the Canadian/US border the area between Vancouver B.C. and Seattle, Wa. the Feds discovered a tunnel connecting the 2 countries. They had been watching since half way through the construction and just sat back until completion and the first shipment then they swooped in.

I don't know when the people in this country will start thinking for themselves and stop following the guy in front of them. Hell its been 40 years since people started getting a buzz on you'd think those grown ups that experimented in their youth would know better alas nothing seems to change.

Excuse me now while I slip into the shadows and fire up a BIG FATTY. Hey Big Brother, can you read that?

Paraquat ( Even my name speaks of the harassment the U.S. has shown its own people. )
Posted: 2005-08-07, 3:09 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
"Hell its been 40 years since people started getting a buzz on"

Actually more like 40 centuries, and likely even longer...

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/At ... ijuana.jsp

"Marijuana has been cultivated for thousands of years. Cannabis was first described for its therapeutic use in the first known Chinese pharmacopoeia, the Pen Ts'ao. (A pharmacopoeia is a book containing a list of medicinal drugs, and their descriptions of preparation and use.) Cannabis was called a "superior" herb by the Emperor Shen-Nung (2737-2697 B.C.), who is believed to have authored the work. "
Posted: 2005-08-07, 7:00 pm

PARAQUAT
Hi Neurosynth,

For someone that doesn't care about buds you sure seem interested in the history of the plant. I am glad to see you bust out the books now and then. I appreciate your corrective nature for all that are out there. Please feel welcome to add to this subject even if you don't care about quality.

Paraquat
Posted: 2005-08-07, 8:49 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
It's not that I don't care about quality...I just can't tell the difference other than strength.

Some folks insist that this bud will have more of a body effect, or that one will be more cerebral, or another might even enhance colors or some such. And I just don't feel those kind of differences. To me some pot is stronger than others, but I just don't sense the kind of qualitative differences others claim.
Posted: 2005-08-07, 9:18 pm

PARAQUAT
Mr. N,

As long as you enjoy that's all that matters. I can say the same thing about great wine. My father was big into wine and was always sharing and trying to educate me on the subtleties of the fruit. Much to his disappointment I never really got it, at least not when it comes to wine. My father has past years back now but I often think of my passion for the flower as being similar to his love of the fruit.

To each his own I say. Whatever the subject, its all about what you like. That is what I love most about AMS. It is such a melting pot of cultures and for the most part you are free to pursue what interests you without other judging.

I will be in AMS in September for a couple of weeks and would be happy to share a couple of my favorite flavors with you if by chance you are there. I truly enjoy your posts and informative nature.

Cheers,

Paraquat
Posted: 2005-08-07, 9:33 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I wish I could take up your offer! It's been too long since I've been to AMS...and unfortunately it may be a while longer until I return.

Roll up a fat one and smoke it for me while you are there!
Posted: 2005-08-08, 12:35 am

FlexgrSupporting Member
Supporting Member
"Seems as if terrorism or the meth plague might be more important"

Luther,

Like nearly everything else about our imbecilic "war on drugs," the meth crisis that you hear so much about in the U.S. is largely a myth. Here's a link to an article from the on-line magazine Slate that does a good job of tearing apart the current scaremongering cover story in Newsweek:

http://www.slate.com/id/2123838/
Posted: 2005-08-08, 10:02 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I just wonder how people in this country would react if agents from, say, Saudi Arabia came here and arrested some distiller because his product was being smuggled into their country (alcohol is illegal there) and wanted him extradited to Saudi Arabia to face a possible life sentence.

I hate this sort of shit that our govt does.

the dogs
Posted: 2005-08-09, 1:24 am

Joecaddy
"I hate this sort of shit that our govt does. the dogs"

Then we can count on your vote to impeach the asshole...
Posted: 2005-08-09, 4:02 am

COOTERSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Our law enforcement agencies make way to much money from drug busts, to ever legalize it here. They wouldn't get their new toys. I never thought as a teen, that weed would still be illegal when I hit adulthood. It's amazing, how well the scare tactics work. It's what got Bush elected. I fear it will only get worse, before it gets better...........Cooter

Posted: 2005-08-11, 7:17 pm

Rainer
While I'm no fan of George Bush, our government's policy on drugs was established and implemented without any input from him, and long before he took office. To rail against the the "war on drugs" in a politcally partisan way only perpetuates it. It's not as if the US government acted in an enlightened manner prior to Jan. 20th, 2001, where drugs are concerned.

Posted: 2005-08-11, 9:41 pm

COOTERSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Rainer, I was speaking of scare tactics in general. Not that Bush had anything to do with the drug policies of our anal nation.....Cooter

Posted: 2005-08-11, 9:55 pm

Joecaddy
Rainer, "While I'm no fan of George Bush, our government's policy on drugs was established and implemented without any input from him, and long before he took office"

Uhmm, You might want to take another look and learn about John Ashcroft, who was appointed by Bush.
http://www.stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle ... roft.shtml
"In an interview given to Larry King Live on February 7th, Ashcroft stated, "I want to escalate the war on drugs. I want to renew it... refresh it, re-launch it..." Pressed by King for specifics, however, the Attorney General declined to provide them, other than a "Parent Drug Corps" idea proposed by the new administration"

In addition, Bush stated,
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases ... 214-2.html
"We must return the fight against drugs to the center of our national agenda"

Our old buddy Tommy Chong was thrown in jail due to this crap, in California were our state has made tremendous efforts to legalize meducal marijuana, federal agents have raided marijuana dispensaries and are on a war path. Our state as well as others are making efforts to help a cause, not refresh and re-launch drug wars.

Lang leve Nederlands!

Joecaddy.....
Posted: 2005-08-11, 10:10 pm

Rainer
People in the 1960's were getting life in jail for possession of one joint. My point is that the US government has, at least in my lifetime, been as anal and stupid as possible when it comes to their drug policy. The fact that this policy hasn't changed under Bush comes as no surprise, but he didn't initiate the policies. Now he might not have the desire to change the policies, but neither has any other politican who had the power to do so. Bill Clinton was president for 8 years, and I don't recall our nation's position on drugs being any different than they are now. I do recall Jimmy Carter once making some noise about legalization of marijuana, but it was under his watch that the goverment used paraquat to spray the plants in Mexico. I think I prefer an idiot to a hypocrite. But give Bush some credit, even if it was inadvertant. Thanks to him the opium trade is flourishing once again in Afghanistan. The Taliban had pretty much eradicated it.

Posted: 2005-08-13, 10:20 pm

420 Power Kat
Tried to attach a story from the New York Times but failed,,, sorry

Posted: 2005-08-14, 5:55 pm

trichome
Marc Emery was released on $50,000 bail. The DEA did not want to see him released on bail but they did not get their wish. The extradition process could take a couple of years. Though Marc is now out of jail, Emery Seeds has been shut down. People who mail ordered seeds just prior to the raid are now receiving bogus letters asking for more information. Very nasty indeed. More information on this at www.cannabisculture.com the website for Marc's magazine.
Re: U.S Police action on Cannabis
Posted: 2005-08-14, 6:08 pm

420 Power Kat
Thanks for the link Trichome

[ 22 posts ]  1, 2  Next

Jump to: