Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 2 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Dutch cannabis policy challenged
Posted: 2006-01-11, 9:34 am

Quinn63
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Excerpt from BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4595018.stm

Mayor Leers has told the Dutch parliament that the licensing system that allows coffee shops to sell 5g of cannabis to each customer should be extended, to allow them to grow their own plants. "They should have a permit to grow their own cannabis so that they can cut their ties with the criminals," the mayor says. "That way we can control things. At the moment our system is so hypocritical."

Jaap Louwerier, owner of The Fantaisie in Amsterdam, agrees with that.
"But it is illegal for me to buy the bigger and bigger stocks of cannabis I need to supply these smokers. And the law says I can only keep up to 500 grammes on my premises, which is not enough. In the coffee shops we call this the 'back-door problem'."

In a dim corridor behind the shop, he covertly buys a stash of cannabis from a supplier, while keeping an eye on the door.

"If the police came in now they would confiscate all this," he says. "That's happened once already, and if it happened three times, I'd lose my licence."

Illegal plantations have sprung up across the Netherlands to supply the coffee shops - in outhouses, basements and attics.
Re: Dutch cannabis policy challenged
Posted: 2006-01-11, 1:31 pm

block
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
The Mayor sounds like a reasonable thinker.....The lady sounds like she is still trying to "save us from ourselves"

Miles Davis
 [ 2 posts ] 

Jump to: